My research focuses on large-scale machine learning and optimization. I design, analyze, and implement algorithms for applications in statistics, machine learning, data mining, and scientific computing. More generally, I am usually interested in all things computational and data driven!
Here's a link to my CV (updated: 15 Mar 2014).
- [29.10.2014]; Some new preprints:
Efficient structured matrix rank minimization (convex optimization, compressed sensing)
Statistical inference with elliptical distributions (nonconvex optimization, mixture modeling)
Super fast modular total-variation optimization! (see also: TV webpage)
Hlawka inequalities on positive definite tensors (hypergraph cut style operator inequalities)
Completely strong superadditivity of generalized matrix functions (if you like matrix submodularity!)
On some questions of F. Zhang and R. Bellman on Hua matrices (matrix integrals, kernel functions)
Explicit diagonalization of a Cesaró/Markov matrix (min / max kernels, operator norms)
Asynchronous Parallel Block-Coordinate Frank-Wolfe (large-scale parallel convex optimization)
Randomized coordinate descent methods with linear constraints (work in progress)
- [20.09.2014]; I'm moving to MIT in January 2015!
- [29.07.2014]; Website moved to AWS
- [17.07.2014]; New arXiv version of
Conic geometric optimisation on the manifold of positive definite matrices
- [15.06.2014]; New ECCV 2014 Paper
Riemannian sparse coding
- [01.06.2014]; Wow, I've already left CMU! so quickly it went by!!!
- [30.05.2014]; New Uncertainty in AI (UAI) paper
Fast Newton methods for the group fused lasso
- [25.04.2014]; New IEEE Transactions on Image Processing paper
Robust sparse hashing
- [13.04.2014]; New ICML 2014 Paper
Randomized nonlinear component analysis"
- [15.03.2014]; Serving as an Area Chair for NIPS 2014
- Teaching Advanced Optimization at CMU from Jan 13 onwards!
- [02.01.2014]; Serving as Associate Editor for Optimization Methods and Software
- [27.12.2013]; new arXiv version of
S. Sra, "Positive definite matrices and the S-Divergence"
- [11.12.2013]; new paper on Stochastic ADMM coming up! (ICML)
- [10.12.2013]; new arXiv version of
S. Sra, "Positive definite matrices and the symmetric Stein divergence"
- [04.12.2013]; arXiv version of
S. Sra, R. Hosseini, "Conic geometric optimisation on the manifold of positive definite matrices"
- [19.11.2013]; arXiv version of
S. Jegelka, F. Bach, S. Sra, "Reflection methods for submodular optimization"
- [25.10.2013]; New paper in IMA J. Numerical Analysis:
Correlation matrix nearness and completion under observation uncertainty
- [05.09.2013]; I'll be an Area Chair for ICML 2014
- [05.09.2013]; I'm on the Senior PC for AISTATS 2014
- [04.09.2013]; Two papers @NIPS2013
(S. Jegelka, F. Bach, S. Sra) Reflection methods for submodular optimization
(S. Sra, R. Hosseini) Geometric optimisation for positive definite matrices
- [01.09.2013]; Visiting ML Dept., School of CS, Carnegie Mellon University for 2 terms!
- [21.05.2013]; EE227A is over! Hopefully my lecture notes will be available soon!
- [15.03.2013]; Serving as an Area Chair for NIPS 2013
- [22.01.2013]; Teaching EE227A: Convex Optimization, EECS, UC Berkeley
- [08.12.2012]; Presented a short version of my new distance function at the NIPS Workshop on "Algebraic Topology and Machine Learning"
- [01.12.2012]; New paper: Similarity computations on positive definite matrices for fast nearest neighbor search. IEEE TPAMI
- [07.09.2012]; New paper: The multivariate Watson distribution: Maximum likelihood and other aspects" in J. Multivariate Analysis
- [03.09.2012]; Two papers @NIPS 2012
Large-scale nonconvex nonsmooth optimization
A new distance metric on the manifold of positive definite matrices
- [24.06.2012]; Speaking @ the NIMS Hot Topics Workshop on Positive Matrices and Operators at KNU, Daegu, Korea
- My work on Metric Nearness was selected to receive the SIAM Outstanding Paper Prize, 2011
- My Book on Optimization for Machine Learning (co-edited with S. Nowozin and S. J. Wright; Publisher: MIT Press) is available here. Here are links to Amazon and Barnes and Noble